Sunday, November 28, 2010

Quick Note/Happy Thanksgiving

I've been up in Evergreen on the eastern border of the Pike National Forest for the past 5 days and have been out of touch with most things, and I couldn't be happier. While I had a bit of a stiffer first taper week (only 50 miles), I got to spend a lot of quality time with my Dad and Mom, as well as my wife and son. My parents had rented a cabin/home for the holiday and we were tucked into the hillside nicely at 8800' with unbelievable weather and views.

I did get out for a few runs while up in the hills and they were incredible. T-day was a run with the wife where we ran through the neighborhood (friggin' steep) to the NF access trail and then up the side of the mountain (I ran a bit further, then smoked it back to meet Rachel) topping out at 10,100' with relatively little snow, amazing for November. The next day I ran a few miles further and ended up in the Mt. Evans wilderness (10,500'), couldn't help but think of getting all the way to Evans and back from Evergreen proper... Probably need company for that though, I've been seeing too many severed deer legs out on the trails...

The runs were just what I needed and free of any other traffic minus two dog walkers (who were surprised as hell to see me). I never knew that there were trail-heads to the NF in Evergreen but they are right there for the taking... I'm in the nervous but it's too late for any major changes now stage in preparing for Hellgate, so I've got to commit the course to memory as much as I can, and trust that I've done the work. I'm excited to race, really just excited to run far and free. I'll get the over/under up this week so folks can get ready to buy me some beer.

Catching up on the blogs tomorrow, hope your holiday was as great as mine.

4 comments:

Nick said...

Don't sweat the 50 miles. Rest is way more important than mileage at this point.

Jim P. said...

Man...you're ready for Hellgate. Damn solid training...supreme learning from Steamboat...you're going to run strong!

Where in Evergreen were you? I've had on my to-do list for some time a run from my house to the summit of Mt. Evans. Next summer!

trudginalong said...

Thanks Guys, I just need to relax, get a few more short runs with some vert to stay sharp and I I'll be ready to go.

Jim, I was WAY out west on Sioux Trail, here: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

and the TH i was using was just off Paiute Rd., but there's an actual TH right off Brook Forest Rd. I've got the Trails Illustrated for Colorado CD on the Xmas list so perhaps we can really put together that run this summer!

trudginalong said...

oops, the cabin is here:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.57427,-105.401845&num=1&t=h&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=23.875,57.630033&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=39.57446,-105.401866&spn=0.003978,0.006716&z=17&iwloc=A