Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Over/Under for HELLGATE!

Ok folks, it's getting to be Christmas time, so obviously that means suffering through the freezing cold and pounding your legs into submission. Oh, and beer of course. Here's how it goes, I'll place the line, then you say that you think I'll either go over that time or under (you can add a specific time if you like). It's that simple. If you're wrong, then you buy me a beer (we're going with Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA this time). If you're right, then I buy you a beer.

The line for Hellgate will be set at 14 hours and 12 minutes. I came to that conclusion by looking at the times of the racers that finish around where I typically do and gave myself 10 minutes (most of these folks have run 100 miles or 100k and it wasn't their first go at it like me). I realize that I could be over ambitious on the time, but if I set it any higher I don't think there would be as much draw to pick the over. If all goes well, hopefully I'll make the under, but I'm not going to gun it out of the starting gate like I've done for many a 50 miler.

This looks to be my biggest race for a while (this next summer could be sparce for me in terms of racing) so I hope to make the best of it and show the East Coasters how we roll in CO. Some info on the course to help you make the decision on where I fall:

Elevation gain - 13,500'
Length - 66.6 miles (4.6 of extra fun)
Start time - Midnight

Most accurate course info including Google Earth track.

Now let the wagering begin...

9 comments:

Mallory said...

If I lived near you, I would definitely bet a beer. My guess is that you will go UNDER that time.

Jim P. said...

UNDER. 13:46. Can't wait to get my beer.

Jaime said...

I'm also going with the UNDER.

Woody said...

Man, you're gonna be buying A LOT of beer when you get back. UNDER for me too.

Gangels said...

I have seen the work you have put in for this one and if you run a smart race you'll nail it.

I say UNDER as well.

trudginalong said...

Come on! Somebody has to take the over here soon or I may be tempted to sabatoge a good race (if I'm blessed to have one) for free beer!

brownie said...

Over. Was going to go with under until I read about the extra mileage...

Christine said...

how on earth do you accurately over/under for a race that is 14 hours long?! hell. UNDER. why not. dogfish is a great choice.

Feets of Pedestrianism said...

Well... I'm gonna have to take the under as well. Even with the turning weather.