Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Leadville quotes from Rod Bein

Just found Rod Bein's Leadville RR. Here are some great quotes from it.

On the size of the race start:

The field has inflated to about 900 due to all the exaggerated adjectives that were used by Chris McDougall in "Born to Run". Think how many would come if McDougall was even slightly a legitimate runner. Oops, did I say that?

On heading up to Hope for the first time:

"Bring it on", I thought. I think the mountains might have laughed at me for a minute before opening a serious can of whoop ass on me.


On returning to Hopeless:

We got down to the "Hopeless" aid station again and it was pretty much a scene out of MASH. Lots of folks still heading over Hope Pass for the first time (poor bastards) and many of them were suffering badly. I puked a few more times here as I tried to pop a gel.

Lots of other good stuff in there too. My favorite is the "poor bastards" quote, classic.

No comments: