Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Leadville

Back in January I wrote that I would not be running Leadville this year. I have an admission, that's not really all that true.

When Rachel and I talked about Pb and the pending child we sort of came to the month buffer, basically if we were a month or closer to the due date, I would not run. When we found out about the new kiddo, we had (incorrectly) assumed that the due date would be early September when in actuality it was September 24th. When I wrote that last post, I was operating off the assumption, only finding out a week later that it wasn't true.

So, near the end of the open window I snagged a slot for Pb (not knowing it'd reopen again anyway) and I've been training as if I'll be there. There are some maybes here and there, and Rachel and I have some agreements in place in regards to me being there, but if all goes well, I'll be toeing the line come August.

I think I can run well at Pb, but I've also never run 100 miles, so it's been both exciting and scary at the same time. I'll likely glean as much from other more experienced ultrarunners as I can and show up with splits and a plan. When I finished Hellgate last year, I thought there was still some race left in me. I'm guessing that won't be the case here.

8 comments:

Mallory said...

That's awesome!!!! Congrats on signing up and on the bambino!!!

Woody said...

So stoked to be running up there with you. Exciting and scary indeed!

Recipe of the Month! said...

First of all, you do realize that the race is still just 1 month before the due date right? And second, I said you could run as long as I still get that free plane ticket you bribed me with!!!

Jaime said...

Hell yeah!!!! Great to hear you'll be racing that weekend.

trudginalong said...

A month and 3 days :)

leila degrave said...

What?!?! No way dude, that is awesome!!! So psyched for you!! I'll be back there myself, for some crazy reason. Well, August and September will be very exciting for you and your family, congrats!

GZ said...

Congrats. I guess. Like congrats that you are going to hurt the heck out of yourself for the better part of a day. Sweet. That is awesome.

Brandon Fuller said...

Par-tay