Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Decision of Leadville

Today my final decision to run or not to run the Leadville 100 was made easy for me. I will not be running the 2011 version, but rather I'll be training to be a father of two. Rachel and I are going to be having our second child way too close to LT to follow the rules of Joghard (of which I'm a full on subscriber). I'm super excited for our next child, and though I've been telling Rachel I think it's gonna be twin boys, I'll be stoked for whatever comes our way. Leadville will be waiting, and I'm not sad to see it go by for another year.

Right now I'll look over the rest of the summer, most likely it'll just be Way Too Cool and Big Horn, but who knows. My right knee has continued to give me a bit of guff ever since the PP50K, and I'm certain it's the IT band. Of course this means that the best way for me to get rid of it is to stop running, see the doc for a cortisone shot, and relax for a while. Way Too Cool though is right around the corner and I'm not planning on missing that. I'll do my best to stretch, ice, and ibuprofen my way through and then see the doc if things haven't progressed. I'll have a nice layoff in August/September or so to deal with it if it's still there then.

Now I get to look over race schedules to see if I can fit one more in July, but I may just plan some big epic solo run there and then begin building a base for the 2012 season. Perhaps I'll be ready to take a shot at Bandera next year or Rocky Raccoon. In any case, I'm stoked to be a dad again (not bad for 26 eh?)!

10 comments:

Woody said...

Congrats Patrick & Rachel! That's great news. You guys are awesome parents and Xavier will be a rockin' big brother.

Brandon Fuller said...

Congrats! You are repeating my 2009. I was ready to commit until the little pee stick came back and showed me that we would be busy right around that time. Oh well. The race was still there the next year and will be again for you.

plumbrunner said...

Good for you!

Jason L. said...

Sounds busy.

Jim P. said...

Congrats, Patrick! Let's meet up at Falcon one of these days soon. It's been a while.

GZ said...

A most important ultra ... parenthood.

leila degrave said...

Congrats!!! Such exciting news!

Gangels said...

Awesome! Leadville can wait.
T

trudginalong said...

Thanks all!

Jim- I'll drop you a line, I was thinking the same thing.

Probably will do either North Fork or Silver Rush... Probably...

Jaime said...

Awesome News Patrick! Congrats! There's always Leadville 2012. At least what I'm telling myself.

Oh and try a foam roller on that IT Band. Works wonders.