Monday, March 28, 2011

More of a plan

I made an executive decision to limit my weekly miles to 90 through roughly the end of April. Looking at my training I've been satisfied, but a bit concerned about the lack of true focus to any particular workout outside of the long run. I have been getting some great consistency and volume (for me) over the past 4 weeks and I feel like I'm ready to race now more so than I was going into Way Too Cool. The long runs I've done have left me with a growing sense of confidence about my base and endurance. This past Saturday, when I got back to the parking lot, I can honestly say that I felt fresh despite the fact that the rolling 7 days put me at 106 miles. It was as good as I've ever felt after running 31 miles, which I guess is a good sign. However, with my near term races both being 50K, I definitely have a need to start working some more quality into my week, and introduce some tempo work to get that going. I'm also planning to do some uphill repeats or tempo work as well, stuff I hope pays off come August. The plan I'm working on now will hopefully culminate with six 100+mi weeks leading into Leadville's taper. Cheyenne Canyon appears to be gaining more traction and looks like it will probably be a lot more competative than I initially thought due to them putting up $500 for the winner. I had the pleasure of meeting and running with Brendan this past Saturday and he'll be down there as well. I had to laugh a bit when he recounted essentially my feelings about the race when he signed up, basically that it was a nice new race, likely to be small and we could probably sneak away with a win. It appears now that it will be a good battle for the top spot.

4 comments:

Mallory said...

Way to go on the miles! Seems like you've got a good plan going forward!!

Nick said...

Who's on the start list at Cheyenne Mtn?

trudginalong said...

Nick, I'm not sure all of who is going to be there, but the RD confirmed Jason Schlarb and said he's gonna post the elite wave entrants to the site. Assuming he's healthy, Jason should be the heavy favorite I'm guessing. Haven't heard who else is in, you should come down!

Nick said...

Thinking about it.