Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Kelso Project

Last night as I was climbing Torreys, I was taken by the eastern ridge leading to Mt. Edwards and on to Grays/Torreys.  It also appears to form a sort of hook towards Kelso Mountain.  I'm unaware if this is a standard loop or if there is anyone who has done it or has beta on some of the trickier links (not that I've searched).  Seems like a great project though for a number of reasons, but the traffic on Grays and Torreys is actually a plus in my mind as it could serve as an unofficial aid station if you needed to bum food or water.  My guess is the route is somewhere in the 13-15 mile range, but a solid half to full day adventure depending on access to the ridge and what the scrambling is like in some sections I haven't checked out.  I  probably need to bounce the idea off some folks like JV or Homie if I run into them again as my mountaineering experience is limited.

Proposed route, start on the eastern ridge towards Mt. Edwards

8 comments:

Shad Mika said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shad Mika said...

It is tricky to get down, the chutes coming back down are a mess. There was even a jeep in one of them tore to pieces. I would be interested in doing this again, it has been a few years.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=3302

Shad Mika said...

Here is a little better report of the same trip.

http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=3306&parmuser=stevevets689+&start=20&cpgm=tripmain&ski=Include

These are from the trail head parking lot and not I70, I did not even think of that. Great idea.

trudginalong said...

Shad, that's awesome, thanks. Will definitely let you know if I find some time to get it done. Yeah, I was thinking of continuing the ridge that you descended all the way to its conclusion. You think it is easier to tackle in the direction you took or the other way?

Shad Mika said...

I would go the direction that I went, I would not think it would be very fun to downclimb Kelso Ridge. It is always easier to do the more tech parts (little class 4 but not much) going up verses down. I would also need to study a map to see if there was a way off that ridge by I-70 on the return side instead of bailing down the chutes by the trailhead like we did in 2007. You have struck an interest with me on doing this from I-70 though, I never even thought about that.

John "Homie" Prater said...

Some more references. JV's got a little beta for getting onto the ridge shortly after leaving I-70. This report describes the same start. And here's a variation of your route in which it appears from his map that he gained that initial ridge a bit later.

I haven't done all the sections of your route, but it'll all go. As Shad says, probably easier to ascend Kelso Ridge, but it's reasonable to descend it also.

trudginalong said...

Thanks Homie, that's great stuff. It all appears a bit simpler than I thought actually. Bit of bushwhacking from the ridge to the 70 lot, but that's pretty well clear of snow already.

patrick said...

Hey Patrick, I did something similar back in March. Instead of coming down Kelso ridge I extended the loop a bit. Here's a description and google earth shot: http://patrickestewart.blogspot.com/2012/04/week-summary-326-41.html